Monday 16 September 2019

Ecs210 Week 1

How does Kumashiro define 'commonsense?' Why is it so important to pay attention to the 'commonsense’?
    Kunashiro claims common sense is what is taught to us in our society, which I can agree with. Not all societies have the same ideas that North America seems to have when it comes to “common sense”. They brought about this point while discussing their time teaching in Nepal, where they realized (shocking) that a less developed society does not hold the same values or ‘rituals’ that America seems to hold. It boils down to values, and which society holds what higher. American teachers hold expression and fun fairly high, while in Nepal, the opposite seems to be true.
    The idea of common sense being unique to society also applies to family, or household. It’s common sense to vote (in my opinion), for example, however not everyone would agree. Kunashiro talked about oppression, perhaps that falls under what I allow to oppress me. In other words, what may be common sense to me, may not be common sense to you.
I do believe the text itself was common sense, how could nobody already know these things? There are cultural differences in every aspect of life, not just common sense. Everyone should already be aware of these things.

I do not know what else to say on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment